Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 17 - Vacation Bible School

All the cool kids go to VBS at Trinity.  So a few years ago, I had to make sure my kids were a part of it, too.  No, seriously, a few friends of mine at bunco one day were talking about how much fun it is for their kids.  How cool - kids excited about singing and learning about God.   Well, Jordan just gets excited about game time.  "Yes, it is awesome that you got from first base to home in kickball."  But hopefully he gets more out of it.  :)

The people who run it are amazing.  The decorations are always awesome.  The adults show enthusiasm 100 percent of the time - like they really love what they are doing.  Not only do they run VBS from 6 - 8:30, they also hold dinner beforehand, starting at 5:30.   And I love to see my students volunteering their time to help - how wonderful to see teens spending their time this way.

I am sure every VBS is great.  But there is something about this one that feels special.  It has something to do with community.  I look around sometimes at all the parents and kids there, and I know so many from different aspects of my life, work friends, neighbors, students, bunco buddies, etc.  It's a highlight of my day to sit and chat with people when I drop off or pick up the kids.  It's good to reconnect, even for a just a little bit.  And the two and a half hours of kid-free time is not bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment